Defense of the Ancients (DotA 2) for Noobs – The Road to Becoming a Good Midlaner
So here’s a question for everyone who plays Defense of the Ancients 2 or DotA 2: Why do a lot of people want to grab the position of the midlaner during a multiplayer game?
- Is it because of the huge experience and gold that you can get during the first 5-10 minutes of this multiplayer game?
- Is it because it is the only lane that you can handle during the game? Or is it…
- …because you have an ego as big as a dinosaur and you just want to inflate it even more by acting like a bigshot only to get hit and fall down on the ground face first?
If your answer is C, then congratulations. You are an honest person and now starts your journey to become a true midlaner. If only people would finally agree to that very simple answer to a very simple question.
The Power of the Middle Lane
The midlane is indeed the most powerful position in any Defense of the Ancient or DotA multiplayer game. It is where experience and gold are all for the taking since it’ll just be you and another player, the opposing midlaner, who will fight you off by denying creeps. Since you are the midlaner, you have to understand that there is more to the position than you think.
A Multiplayer Game Where a Strategy is Needed
Whenever I start an online multiplayer game on my own with DotA 2 and I get queued with players, I usually encounter 3-4 heroes who insist on getting the midlane. Most of the players are very cocky and they always claim some of the most impossible feats in the history of DotA 2. I even met one little kid who insisted that he defeated Dendi on a one on one match within a game session. Color me, impressed kid. Now if only that were true. I’m pretty sure even the real Dendi would find this funny.
With DotA 2, Winning the Midlane is Key
In any case, if you want to be an awesome midlane player, you have to remember the following:
- Your last-hitting skills should be top-notch to become a midlaner. The midlane isn’t just about getting all the experience and the gold. It is also a race against the other midlaner. Whoever gets the most gold and experience within a few minutes will spell the difference between losing and winning for your team. In order to get your experience and gold faster than the enemy midlaner, you have to last-hit and deny properly. Do not allow the enemy midlaner to get gold and experience.
- You need to pick the right midlane hero for every situation. If the only midlane hero that you know is Sniper, then I got bad news for you. Sniper is not a powerful midlane hero. That’s because the little fool has no actual damage to begin with and he also has little armor and can barely run away from a fight to escape or reposition. If you find heroes on the opposing side who can kill your midlane hero without problems, then use a different midlane hero instead!
- Use the right items at the right time. If you’re going to become the best midlane player there is for Defense of the Ancients (DotA 2) then you need to know which items you should be getting for your character and then learn how to use those said items in the right timing or moment. For example, getting the timing right for the Black King Bar will always guarantee you and your team a win. Strategy is everything for this demanding multiplayer game.
Teamwork First, Strategy Second, Ego Zero!
Always remember, think first before you starting putting your ego to use. You can start using your ego once you’ve won the game. But until the game is still on, then there’s still no telling what might happen within a multiplayer game of DotA 2.